- Always secure a Contents Protection Program.
- Create an inventory list of all items.
- Protect items with moving blankets or sheets.
- Label boxes or containers on all sides.
- Consider reusable, clear plastic containers so you can easily view contents.
- Pack lighter boxes on top of heavier ones.
- Do not store any toxins or flammables.
- Do not store any food items.
- Apply furniture oil to wooden pieces before storing for added protection.
- Disassemble larger items such as tables, bed frames, etc. to save space.
- Put all hardware in bags and label accordingly.
- Use paper pads or PODS®® moving blankets when stacking furniture to prevent scratching.
- Original boxes for electronics are best. Otherwise packing items separately in bubble wrap, cushion foam, and even wadded up newspaper will help.
- Label corresponding cords and components by using color coded stickers.
- Clean all appliances thoroughly prior to storing.
- Leave doors slightly ajar to prevent mould or mildew.
Pictures and Mirrors
- Wrap pictures that are small and stand them on end in boxes.
- For larger ones, buy special picture moving boxes.
- Always store mirrors or framed pieces on end, not flat.
Crystal, China, and Glassware
- Buy boxes designed for this with dividers.
- Wrap each item with paper or bubblewrap.
- Label these boxes as FRAGILE.
Clothing, Curtains, Drapes
- Use special wardrobe boxes or garment bags to hang items.
- Hang items on non-rusting hangers.
- Dresser drawers are great space savers for storing smaller items.
- If storing wool items, use cedar chips and/or mothballs to prevent moth damage.
On-site storage with PODS®
- (Remember PODS® Containers may be kept on-site at your location, or in one of our Storage Centres)
- If storing your container in a deed-restricted community, review your home-owner association’s guidelines for container placement.
- When storing your container on a street, please remember to adhere to local ordinances.